Phase 1 of the airport’s expansion, launched in January 2005, included, among other works:
- Expansion of the passenger terminal. In 2001 it covered an area of 39,467 m2; by 2005 it had expanded to 65,528 m2.
- Installation of seven passenger loading bridges (PLBs).
- Construction of new domestic and international concourses.
- A new 5,500 m2 commercial area (“Peru Plaza”).
- The cargo building, later superseded by the LAP Cargo and Airmail Center, with a 24-hour capacity of 8,000 tons.
- A 60/10 KW electric substation with a 12 MVA output, including a 60 KW transmission line.
- Four water cisterns, two with a capacity of 500 cubic meters each and the other two with a capacity of 1,500 cubic meters each.
- New offices and larger areas for Government entities operating in the airport.